Don’t have time to visit the store to grab IKEA’s Swedish meatballs? Don’t worry; we have got you covered. Making IKEA Swedish meatballs has never been easier and we are here to uncover the entire recipe for you. Read this blog till the end to find out everything about the IKEA Swedish meatball recipe to satisfy your cravings.
Full Ingredients for IKEA Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 750 gms of ground pork and beef mince– the combination of these two types of meat makes the meatballs soft and adds a unique taste to the original meatball dish.
- 100 gms of breadcrumbs and 5 tbsps of milk – want moist meatballs? Soak the bread in milk and add it to the meat to make it extra moist. You can also use breadcrumbs if bread and milk are not available.
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- 1 finely chopped onion and 1 clove of garlic – grate onion and cut garlic into small pieces to add more flavor to the recipe.
- 1 egg– it helps in binding the meat together.
Full Ingredients for Sauce
Making the sauce takes less time than you can imagine. Here’s what you need to make the sauce for your meatballs:
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 150ml thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 300ml bouillon
- 1 teaspoon (Dijon) mustard
Directions to Make the ‘Original’ IKEA Swedish Meatball Recipe
Ready to taste the creaminess of this mouth-watering recipe? Here is how you can make it.
- Mix pork and beef with your fingers to remove any lumps, then add garlic, egg, chopped onion, milk, salt and pepper, and breadcrumbs to it and combine well.
- Take small parts of meat in one hand and start to shape the mixture into round balls place them on a clean plate and put in the refrigerator for 2 hours. This will help them maintain shape for a long time.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat and start adding meatballs to it until it’s brown on all sides.
- After this, take an ovenproof dish, place all cooked meatballs on it, and place the dish in the oven at 180 degrees centigrade and cook for 30 minutes.
Delicious Sauce Recipe for IKEA Swedish Meatballs
The IKEA Swedish meatball recipe is incomplete without the delicious sauce. Here’s how you can make the amazing gravy at home.
- Take a large frying pan and melt the butter on it on medium heat. Slowly whisk flour in it and stir for 2-3 minutes until golden color appears.
- Add the bouillon in it and keep stirring.
- Add double cream, Dijon mustard, and soy sauce in it.
- Let it simmer to allow the sauce to thicken.
Dish the meatballs out and serve them on the delicious bed of creamy mashed potatoes, covered in this amazing sauce, some steamed vegetables, and lingonberry sauce on the side. There could not be a better meal to end a tiring day!
What are Swedish Meatballs?
Swedish meatballs are a global favorite dish, also known as köttbullar. These meatballs are extremely soft and tender with a hint of nutmeg in them. The cream sauce only adds to the overall taste of the dish and you can feel all spices melting on your tongue.
Served with a bed of mashed potatoes and the very famous lingonberry sauce, this dish is definitely a must-have at least once in your life. You can easily get it from the IKEA store in Sweden, but you can have a lot more of it with your family if you prepare the IKEA Swedish meatball recipe at home. It’s always best to have it in more quantity!
Why is IKEA Swedish Meatball Recipe so Special?
Everyone must have tried the regular meatball recipe with spaghetti sauce, rice, or mashed potatoes, but the IKEA Swedish meatball recipe is not like that. What makes it different is the 50-50 portion of meat and pork, bringing all the flavors of the world into your mouth. Not only that, the recipe for these meatballs contains a little more spices with a hint of nutmeg in it. If you’re a fan of IKEA Swedish meatballs, then you must know how creamy and yummy these meatballs are!
“It’s by far the most sought-after dish at IKEA!”
The story does not end here; IKEA serves this iconic dish with their oh-so-amazing sweet lingonberry jam on the side to complement the savory meatballs. The store further serves it with green beans and mashed potatoes for everyone to have a fulfilling meal. Surprisingly, the meal is not as expensive as you might think, so be sure to give it a try!
What to Serve IKEA Meatball Recipe With?
IKEA Swedish meatballs are extremely fulfilling and are best served with steamed broccoli, lingonberry sauce, and mashed potatoes. If you don’t find lingonberry sauce, then you can use cranberry sauce as an alternative.
This is the best IKEA Swedish meatball recipe that everyone must try to reimagine the taste of IKEA’s best!